Who Do I Report Japanese Knotweed To?

CYB environmental logo - japanese knotweed removal specialists based in london cardiff & bristol

Japanese Knotweed is a highly invasive, non-native plant and is considered one of the most problematic plant species in the UK and Ireland. This is mainly due to its highly invasive nature and its extremely rapid growth rate.

Once Japanese Knotweed Is Noticed

If you identify Japanese Knotweed on your land/property you will want to contact a PCA accredited company such as CYB Environmental. At CYB Environmental we ask that photographs of the suspected growth can be provided so that we can identify the plant. If the plant is in fact Japanese Knotweed, we will advise that a site survey is carried out to identify the best method to conduct on this particular area of growth.

It is important to note that it is not illegal to have Japanese knotweed in your garden, or on your land. If you have discovered the plant on your land then you are under no legal obligation to notify anyone about it or even treat the plant. You are, however, responsible for ensuring that the plant does not spread into neighbouring land, whether it be privately or publicly owned.

Who To Report To

You can report Japanese knotweed to your local council if you have noticed that the plant growing unchecked on council land, or if it has spread onto your own property. Local councils have a section on their website dedicated to Japanese knotweed, where you will be able to leave a message in regards to the issue.

The local authority will likely put a formal plan of action in place and provide you with evidence of its implementation. Please be aware that if the local council does put a plan in place, it will unlikely cover private land (i.e. a privately owned garden) and will not be sufficient for lending in the future. If you are lending against the property in future, an insurance backed guarantee will have to be applied for by a PCA accredited contractor.

If the growth is located on private land, we suggest you write to the homeowner/landowner directly. This can open discussions between neighbours on how to deal with the problem plant and we are happy to organise a site visit to discuss with both parties.

Japanese Knotweed In Open Areas

Japanese Knotweed thrives in non-restricted areas and out in the open due to the access to light and water. Railway embankments can have a high growth areas because of this. Japanese knotweed has a vast underground rhizome system that can spread and grow rapidly, blocking drains, cracking tarmac and damaging foundations.

Action to deal with knotweed may be necessary due to the risk posed to the safe operational railway. If you believe you have identified a growth of Japanese Knotweed on a railway embankment, it is important to report it to National Rail or TFL depending on what region of the country you are residing.

If the growth is close the boundary walls of the property, you will want to instruct a PCA accredited company such as CYB Environmental for a free site visit and a formal report. We can provide reports to provide evidence of Japanese Knotweed growths and their location in relation to property and underground services.

For any queries on the above or if you would like a free identification of a potential Japanese Knotweed plant, please contact us at info@cyb-environmental.com